Monday, March 31, 2014

MIM: Stamping with Watercolor Mediums

I think I am in love with the watercolor look on my cards now. I immediately knew that I wanted to paint the flowers from the Botanical Silhouettes set because of the whimsy and beauty in those flowers. I started with a black card base, which I very rarely do but I really wanted the floral image to pop from the card. I got out my cheap watercolors that I borrowed from my son's IKEA craft set that he got for Christmas. I was ready to get started with my glass of water, a paintbrush and the watercolors. Speaking of which, I only have the cheap watercolors from the IKEA set and another inexpensive set that I found at Dollar General. For those of you that like to watercolor, what brand do you use? I'd like to invest in watercolors because I have really enjoyed using them on my cards.
Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Vikki H said...

lovely card and your stamps remind me of the Hero Arts set from 10-15 yrs ago. I'm going to get out my cheap watercolor box from the Dollar Store.

Diana K said...

I really like this! Your stamping with the watercolours looks incredible.

Anonymous said...

Lovely card, lovely colours, Di

My Paper Epiphany said...

Looks gorgeous - you dont need an expensive set!

Linda said...

Lovely card. I thought about using this set. Very pretty.

Nancy Penir said...

Beautiful! If you get these results from the cheepy set why mess with a good thing?
Your blooms look intentionally brushed on, don't you love it when that happens?

Marcia Hill said...

Love, LOVE how this turned out...truly looks watercolored! So bright and "springy" looking too! :0)

Unknown said...

Your watercolored flowers are beautiful!!

Kay D said...

This is beautiful- clever choice of card base to really make those flowers pop!
btw, I've used my daughter's Ikea watercolors on cards before, too. They actually produce fairly vibrant shades (like on your lovely card), unlike the watercolors she uses for school.

inkyfingy said...

Oh sorry...I forgot to answer your query regarding which water colour brand to invest in...the cheaper ones, as long as the dried colour is true, are just as good as the more expensive brands, which to be honest are better quality...while you are learning how to use them you should just go for it...the dearer ones won't make that process any different. I think that the watercolour paper you use is more likely to affect your project outcome - use the best you can, with the amount of roughness or smoothness that you prefer for that project :)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful work perfectly done!

Jacquie Southas said...

I love the light, whimsical feel of your flowers - great watercoloring! I'm another that just uses an inexpensive watercolor set, so can't help you with looking for a better quality set.

Lorraine said...

This is pretty! Love the watercolor effect and the stamps go perfectly with the technique.